Brookwood Station comprises 1125 Hectares of flat to steep hill country starting at the southern end of Takapau township, and heads south towards Ormondville. It is split by Paulsen Road with the western side of the road being used for dairy heifer grazing.
The balance of the property runs 2500 Romney Ewes, fattens trade lambs, steers & bulls as well as running the Angus Stud.
Fodder cropping is undertaken to assist in feeding stock through the winter and for finishing lambs in Summer and Autumn. Some cash cropping is undertaken and crops grown in the past include maize, peas & barley. We have 18 Ha of lucerne and 45Ha plantain that assist us in finishing stock in the summer dry conditions we so often face.
Since we purchased Brookwood in 2005 substantial development has been undertaken including:
- 100km of new fencing to increase paddock numbers from 66 to 190
- 80km of water pipe laid and 170 troughs
- 800Ha regrassing
- 2 new sets of sheep yards and 1 new set of cattle yards
- Substantial tracking, new culverts and metalling to improve access
- Substantial capital fertiliser applications.