Brookwood Station comprises 1125 Hectares of flat to steep hill country starting at the southern end of Takapau township, and heads south towards Ormondville.
At Brookwood we run the 230 cow Angus Stud, 1250 Ewes, finish around 800 trade cattle and anywhere from 4-8000 trade lambs. We also run 300 dairy heifers on an isolated block on the western side of Paulsen Road which splits the property.
Fodder cropping is undertaken to assist in feeding stock through the winter and for finishing lambs in Summer and Autumn. Cash cropping is undertaken and crops grown in the past include maize, peas & barley.
Since we purchased Brookwood in 2005 substantial development has been undertaken including:
- 150km of new fencing to increase paddock numbers from 66 to over 200
- 100km of water pipe laid and over170 troughs
- 800Ha regrassing
- 2 new sets of sheep yards and 1 new set of cattle yards
- Substantial tracking, new culverts and metalling to improve access
- Substantial capital fertiliser applications.
- Riparian fencing and planting
- Two new haybarns/bull selling venue.
Brookwood has recently leased a 130Ha flat property just to the north of Takapau village. This property is flat and will enable us to increase trade numbers and cash cropping.